Saturday, February 12, 2011

Easy Like Sunday Morning Published: 8 February, 2011, 16:59 Edited: 8 February, 2011, 16:59




I love sleep. Not just love, I really love sleep.

I'm one of those people who can do it anywhere – on the sofa, on a plane. I'm a master at grabbing a sneaky few hours’ sleep wherever I can fit it in and have long suspected I could lie down on in the middle of a concrete street on a warm enough day and snooze quite happily.

The long and short of that nugget of information is that Sunday Morning Lie-ins are almost sacred to me.

So when I'm asked to cover a story that requires me to be out of my bed and interacting with other people before 9pm on a Sunday – I bristle!

After reminding myself that I adore my job and that it's always nice to experience something new, I found myself this weekend amidst 17,000 cross-country skiers at Moscow's Annual Ski Trek.

17,000!

All of whom willingly dragged themselves out of bed to then drag themselves over 40km of snowy terrain – I greeted the scene with a mixture of admiration and amusement.

There were many lycra-clad bodies – and lots and lots of families – there was a 5km event for children (there were so many teeny-tiny little kids involved – I had no idea they could even make skis that small!) and even a big fat Labrador with its own racing vest (alas no skis though!).

And you know what? After less than half-an-hour at the event with everyone enjoying themselves against a backdrop of music and delicious shashlik smells from the stalls that were barbecuing, I could not think of a more fun way to spend that particular Sunday morning.

Whilst personally I'll always be a bigger fan of downhill skiing, cross country is big pastime here in Russia, and as with anything that attracts such a huge number of people who sing its praises and look genuinely happy to be doing it – I want in!

So whilst I'm certainly not going to be sacrificing my Sunday morning lie-ins voluntarily anytime soon – it was a good reminder that sometimes there are much better ways to spend your weekend mornings than beneath the duvet!

To watch the story click here