Thursday, January 27, 2011

Thought on random matters from readers of the Des Moines Register

Your 2 Cents' Worth: Thursday, Jan. 27, 2011


Signs are slowly pointing to an improving economy. The Republican Party said they will fix everything wrong with what Democrats have done, but things seem to be improving without them. Now they will most likely make things worse.
- Warren County watcher

I'm getting a gun permit to protect myself from the people who already have gun permits.
- Billy the Kid

Iowa basketball players Matt Gatens and Eric May took time out of their busy schedules Saturday to come to our hotel and meet our children. There have been a lot of negative things said about U of I athletes in the past months. I can attest that these two young men are two that we can be very proud of.
- Husker Fan from 51358


Ever tried backing out on a hilly driveway with a car blocking it? Not an easy feat, especially with all the snow surrounding my driveway.
- Tired of inconsiderate people

Why is it we are concentrating on social issues rather than what is really going on in our state? I don't care who kisses who, my husband needs a job.
- Thought provoking citizen

If I enter a business and I see a non-officer packing a gun, I'm out of there.
- Urbandale guy


Truth does not ask to be believed but to be tested and retested, and tested again. Why is it then that most faiths seem to avoid testing of their beliefs, and some even call it blasphemy and wish to punish seekers of truths? Even with death. Is it fear? Or is it something else?
- Just Wondering in 50677

Many Iowa parents are underemployed or underpaid and can't afford to pay for preschool. "Fiscally responsible Iowan" needs a little more compassion and a little less arrogance.
- Central Iowa man


How many of the parents out there worried about the ending of free preschool in Iowa would be willing to give up their iPod to pay the monthly cost of preschool? We are a people of no responsibility but always wanting something for nothing.
- Questioning in 50131

I still can't believe my 4-year-old is going to preschool for free. I'm guessing the parents of 95 percent of the class could also afford to pay. If you want it badly enough for your child, prioritize. Turn off the TV and read. The state doesn't owe us a freebie.
- Johnston mom


Just because almost everyone in a beer commercial looks like they turned 21 yesterday doesn't mean that they are targeting young people.
- Central Iowa man

Our country has been on a steady decline ever since our governors and presidents quit wearing beards.
- Sputters from my mind

The American Pastime isn't baseball or football, it's shifting your tax burden onto somebody else. Corporations play this game better than anyone else; they buy the referees.
- Gallic wit


Want sanity? Employ Americans. Or choose chaos.
- 50322 Conservative

Shouldn't representatives consider the welfare of all their constituents, not just those who yell the loudest? To chose health care as a forum for hatred is abhorrent.
- Sick of lies in 50126

Let's say I want to be protected, so I carry my handgun with me to the grocery. Suddenly shots ring out and I see people drop to the floor bloody and screaming. I pull my gun out and see six other people brandishing guns. Whom should I fire at first?
- Not a gun addict, for good reason


This is the time of year when your nose is kind of runny and you think it's kind of funny but it snot.
- Sniff sniff

In the world we live in today it comes as no surprise that the spineless cowards at MSNBC would fire Keith Olbermann in yet another attempt to suppress the truth. Being intellectually deficient has never been more popular.
- MadDogCall 50322