Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Her own detachment from the present day realities seems a bit striking

Update I below

Today's MoDo op-ed piece in the NYT lowers the bar for her writing limbo-dance to floor level. In response to the sophmorically trite column reaking of Nobel Prize envy, Lisa M from Burlingame CA expresses herself far, far better than the Pulitzer Prize winning red head.


Maureen's brand of satire just seems unfunny these days in the context of what's going on in the real world. She rightfully makes fun of the self-delusion of her two conservative collegues, but her own detachment from the present day realities seems a bit striking. I think all three of these columnists should spend some time reading the truly relevant, honest and substantive comments from their own readers. This is the section of the NYTs I look forward to each day, after I get through the fluff commentaries of their regular Op-ed writers.



The question I keep returning to is, who the world did MoDo sleep with and how often did she have to sleep with them to win her Pulitzer?

Like commentor Lisa M, I find the responses TO the editorials to be far more enlightening than the "editorials" of the unholy triumvirate of Kristol, Dowd, and Brooks which so frequently soil the times opinion pages.

Update I

While scanning through the reader comments from today's MoDo fluff, I found another reader who shares my disdain for Mo's prose:

Why do you make everything about you? Your trite beginning to this supposed OP-Ed Piece is disrespectful to Paul Krugman's honor. Mo, you lost it months ago and it's time the New York Times faces it. You are no longer a clear voice, this coupled with the disaster Sunday are bringing your poll numbers down.

— Mary, New York NY