Friday, May 25, 2012

Reconnecting with a best buddy from kindergarden and first grade. There is really nothing quite like this experience. Best friends, boys, we haunted the streets, played in the elementary school playgroud, lost our hearts to the same most wonderful, beautiful young girl, whom all the boys in our class just worshipped. Then, to reconnect, after 55 years!

Your grandson in the Cat hat looks like one day he might just run the whole show. Samantha appears to be soundly sleeping, most unusual for a child so recently born. Obviously, she rest safe in arms of love.

My prayers go out to you and your family for the loss of your brother Jim. Keep telling his stories, and remembering all the wonderful times; this is how we keep our loved ones alive here on earth, in memory. Then picture him in heaven, looking down, front row center seats, he'll be there with you at Medinah, fo' sho', drinking in every aspect of that oh so hallowed and sacred grounds (I caddied there for a couple of years, and Ralph was heavily involved in caddie training the spring and summer of the year they held the U.S. Senior Open there; Dad came dangerously close to qualifying for the Senior Open, a triple bogey at 16 and a double bogey at 17 at Skokie Country Club left him two shots out of it. In fact, at one point in his qualifying round, he was three strokes up on the guy that would ultimately be the medalist!) Have you made lodging arrangements yet? We've got a guest room here in Barrington, which is about 30 minutes away. You have a standing invitation to stay here with us.

Good health, peace & blessings to you, and to all of those you love.

Mark (&Ralph) Ganzer

p.s. - I shot 75 at Makray Memorial Golf Course a couple of days ago, and have moved back from the ladies tees (which, I swear, measure 6800 yards no matter WHAT the card says - I've paced it and I've paced it and I've paced it), and thus have now moved back to the senior tees, where I shot 41 on the back nine yesterday. I can't get into trouble from the further back tees (most of which are 40-80 yards farther back than the lady's tees).

------------------------------------------------

04/16/12 12:22 AM
 
 
Hi Mark,

Thank you for the kind words. My brother passed on the same day and hour as the birth of our grandaughter. I learned of his death from his son moments before my son stepped out of the delivery room to tell us the good news. A very difficult emotional moment.

Yes, I have many stories to tell about my big brother. Many having to do with golf. Jim loved his golf. He got to play many of the championship courses in and around Phoenix, Denver and Colorado Springs after leaving Streator. He took a love for the game with him when he left. Our mother, grandfather and, yes, your father imprinted on him. He was a great playing partner - always supportive and frequently knocked it in when the "chips" were down.

Now here's one story for you...the Ganzers had left Streator by 1964 when the SHS golf team went up against the highly favored Peoria-area teams on their own course for the prize of competing at the state meet. As sixth man, Jim was last to be picked for the trip. His score was not expected to count in the best four scores for the team. As the day unfolded the top three Streator players turned in very competitive scores, but disappointedly, neither the fourth nor the fifth man's scores were good enough to get them to Champaign. But wait...word was that Jim was still on the course and having a pretty good round. A teammate quickly did the math and got to him on the 17th tee. He needed to birdie 17 and 18 and Streator was on their way to state. When he made the last birdie putt on the 18th, Steve Myers grabbed the nearest pay phone and called my mother screaming that Streator was going to state. (By the way, two of the players went on to finish well individually at state, and later played in college. Those names, I'm sure, would be known to your dad because he likely had taught and coached them in the earlier years-John Bailey and Dave Wargo.)

I am really looking forward to the Ryder Cup. I'm praying for good weather as I am part of the Evacuation Team responsible for getting the players and caddies off the course in inclimate weather. I figure the better the weather the more of the event I will get to see. Thank you for the offer of accomodations, I am voluntering with a couple of friends and one has a home nearby so he has offered to put us up.

I still would like to get together with you for a round of golf. 2012, irrespective of the great weather, has been full of life events so far that have preempted me getting on the course. And it won't slow down. Presently, I'm waiting for a third grandchild to arrive any day. And as I write, I have just learned that Jim's wife has suffered a heart attack in Colorado. In spite of it all, would you be interested in a game in May or June?

Best wishes to you and your dad!

Bill
 
 -------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Bill, you're such a wonderful writer. Birdied 17 & 18 -- talk about composure under pressure!

May or June are GOOD - the only question then is this: your place or mine or somewhere in between. I don't drive, but I do know how to ride train. Makray is a very special golf course - it is my favorite! Dad and I are so proud to be able to play it (we get a huge discount - for alll dad's years a a member at the predecessor course, Thunderbird Country Club where he was a many-time club champion. And for whatever reasons, the owner, Paul Makray Jr has deemed it to be that dad and I will continue to play for cheap ... and every man and woman that works there will tell you ... they are convinced that dad playing there, and playing with me, has added quality time to his life, his mental outlook, and has given him something to look forward to each and every day. There kindness and generosity is not lost upon me, and I always thank them for this unique opportunity they have given us to re-bond on the links, sharing that interest in the game, but mostly enjoying each other's company.


Dad, in fact, has become quite the stand up comic. He gave a variation on a line I first heard Andy North mutter ("better than a good one") the other day: WORSE THAN A BAD ONE -- (he tried to make a down hill 8 footer, ended up with 25 feet coming back, but ALMOST (the operative word0 made the first one!


So I'll see you soon my friend (we also have a delightful park district 5-hold par 3 course with a 245-yard, uphill, OB and water left, trees right hole that you either have to hit a 100-foot high drive to clear the trees, OR a 30 yard draw to hook it around the trees, OR a 20 yard fade / cut to take it over the rail road tracks when the wind blows from the South, which is followed by a 225 yard straight forward par 3, which I probably birdie more than any other hole out there (by comparison, it is easy, way easier than the predecessor hole, and I don't have to hit a 30-yard draw from 142 yards to avoid the tree branches like one needs to do on the last hole. But, when no one is around, and this occurs frequently, you can manufacture a 598 par 5 - just go all the way back past the ball fields and the park bench to the place by the bid tree, grip it, rip it, and then play the 3rd hole (the 245-yar par 3)! Ideally, we play 2 balls for the five holes before we go to Makray, to get the kinks out. This ought to be mandatory!


I would be interested in having the opportunity to see you, to catch up, to talk, to reminisce, and to dream, any time - golf would just be extra frosting on that cake.


Be well my friend the Lord loves us and blesses us in so many ways.


I will kkeep your sister-in-law in my prayers.


Dad loved your letter - and oh yes, he remembers John Bailey and Dave Wargo (the Wargo's always were one of his favorite families from Streator, as have been the Arbogasts - VERY special. He had a great talk with your sister at one of the reunions


With Love to You, and All You LOVE,


Mark & Ralph Ganzer.