Monday, October 11, 2010

My son Adam James



My son, Adam James
Has been a life saver, for both his mother and me.

He is a child who was warmly loved, and warmly cared for
Carefully sheltered from a few things
But never tethered
He returns that love, amplifying and radiating it
With a gentleness, and an innate kindness
The ability to listen, to learn
A glowing curiosity
Knowing when to speak and the more important,
When to listen

He is a good Roman Catholic boy, in each and every
of the most positive senses and intentions of that description

He reached out to me,
melted my hardened heart
and brought back to my senses and comprehension
the joys and wonderment of being a child
and the wisdom too -- a wisdom too often
uprooted by so many with authority over
and the responsibility for the care and nurturing

of the only legacy
that means a damn

Our children
Our Hope
Our future
Our salvation
Our reckoning

And he has had to courage,
the intelligence and the wisdom
to know to say that which I
have so often refused to hear
but ultimately,
must acknowledge

"Not this way. This way, will not do.
"As much as it hurts me,
"I can no longer see you
"It simply hurts to much
"And I cannot endorse you this way
"Until you do the thing you know you must
"Heal thyself. You know what you need to do."

One hellish thing
to put a 16-year old boy through.
Forgive me son, as I know you have.


To know Adam, is to be blessed

And were it not for his mother's graciousness
and deep insights
And his grandmother's kindness and love
This all might have been lost to me.

Blessings upon you Theresa Marie
Blessings upon you Connie (Constance Lucille)