Saturday, June 2, 2007

Steve Gilliard

I just learned that Steve Gilliard has died, and my heart is filled with sorrow and anguish.

Steve's passion and integrity illuminated and ignited my world for the past four years. I began to leave comments on his blog about a year ago, spending hours to craft and hone a couple of paragraphs, not wanting to despoil his beautiful blog with bad grammar, bad punctuation, bad information, or bad ideas.

My heart and prayers go out to Steve's family and his blog partner Jen.

Steve's death is a great loss and I am overcome with an emptiness.

Let me remember and cherish Steve's example, and think very carefully upon his commitment to - literally, truth, justice and the American way. Let me see the big picture, the forest, as clearly as Steve could see it. And let me not be deflected by the irrelevant.

Lord, grant that Steve rests in a better place
Let his example continue to inspire us
To stand up, to speak out, to become involved
As would winter patriots - believing in a dream
To not merely complain,
But to work actively for change
To make ours a better nation
To make this a better world

Thinking of Steve, the words of the poet Langston Hughes echo through my brain

O, yes,
I say it plain,
America never was America to me,
And yet I swear this oath--
America will be!