Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Crafting a future with hope


Published: January 24, 2012 09:38 IST | Updated: January 24, 2012 09:38 IST


Sharath S. Srivatsa


He learns to live with bone cancer
It has been more than six months since he went to work. Crippling pain in the legs and a couple of surgeries have led G. Krishnappa to a bed at the Kidwai Memorial Institute of Oncology (KMIS).
With wife Lakshmi by his bedside in the palliative care unit, the carpenter, in his 60s, who has bone cancer, wants to go home at the earliest as the last six months have been spent shuttling between Victoria Hospital and KMIS.
He is optimistic. The pain in legs has subsided, he says, showing off his newfound ability to fold them, something he hadn't been able to do in months.
“I can move around normally now and I'm feeling good,” he says, even as a nurse informs that morphine is the reason for his “improvement” and not any medication.
“I know I have bone cancer. But doctors have counselled me to be strong and brave,” says Krishnappa, recalling how his outlook has been transformed from one of despair to hope of living with dignity. “Doctors have told me that morphine tonic will be my companion forever. Counselling by volunteers has also helped my wife cope,” he says.
Not only counselling but also the indoor games organised at Kidwai on Wednesdays have been a morale booster.
“I won chocolate, soap and a plate as prizes in the games last week,” he says.
He plans to get back to work soon, he says.
“Youngsters need to be trained in carpentry. I want to provide them with finer skills,” says the veteran, but only after doctors give him the green signal.