Sunday, January 30, 2011

Football and track keep Chavtur running By Deborah Yates, Staff writer Saturday, January 29, 2011

Charles Chavtur, a junior at Reedsport Community Charter School, enjoys playing football and running track.

He returned to Reedsport last summer after spending his freshman and sophomore years in Boothbay, Maine.

Chavtur was born in California’s Bay Area and moved to Reedsport when he was 4. His father is in the U.S. Coast Guard and occasionally moves his family close to his duty station.

Chavtur found the East Coast to be different from the West Coast, although Booth-bay was similar to Reedsport.

“Since I am not from there, it didn’t quite feel like home,” Chavtur. “The people talk different. I was the one with the accent, not everyone else.”

During the summer, he said, Boothbay’s population increases from 3,000 to 6,000.

“People come up from Florida,” Chavtur said. “It was kind of hard to get used to.”

Living in Boothbay made him appreciate Reedsport more.

“When I moved away, I wanted to leave,” he said. “Then I wanted to be back.”

He enjoys football and has been playing the game since he was in seventh grade.

“Everyone was playing, so I signed up,” he said.

Chavtur enjoys the physical and emotional release that football provides.

“After sitting in school all day, it is good to release energy,” Chavtur said. “Somehow, it is fun to tackle somebody.”

Another aspect of football Chavtur said he likes is the teamwork.

“We depend on each other,” Chavtur said. “If one person doesn’t do their job, it hurts everyone.”

Although he has no idea what he wants for a career, he is giving engineering or criminal justice some consideration. He thinks he may like to do investigations.

Chavtur also does some volunteer work around Reedsport.

“I did some volunteer work for my neighbors when I returned last July,” he said. “If I hear about something I’m interested in, I volunteer.”

This spring, he plans to participate in track and field.

“I run the 100 and 200 (-meter) short sprints and the 110 and 300-meter hurdles,” he said.